Each year, Neuroscience Ireland selects a neuroscientist to honour either through their “Distinguished Investigator Award” scheme, or through their “Early Career Investigator Award” scheme.
Awards are presented to outstanding research scientists who have made exciting basic science or clinical contributions to the field of neuroscience. For the “Early Career Investigator Award”, nominees must be members of the Society, be within 8 years of receiving their terminal degree (PhD or MD), and not yet in an academic position.
Nominations can be made by emailing us firstname.lastname@example.org, including brief reason for your nomination.
Tom Connor Distinguished Investigator Award
- 2019: Prof. Ray Dolan, UCL
- 2017: Prof. John Cryan, UCC
- 2015: Prof. Paul Kenny, USA
- 2013: Prof. Marina Lynch, TCD
- 2012: Prof. John Foxe, USA
- 2011: Prof. Brian Leonard, NUI Galway
Early Career Investigator Award
- 2020: Dr Peter Murphy, Germany/TCD
- 2018: Dr Kathy Ruddy, TCD
- 2016: Dr. Shane Hegarty, UCC
- 2013: Dr. Eric Downer, UCC
- 2012: Dr. Tobias Engel, RCSI
The NSI Distinguished Investigator Award is given in momory of our dear friend and former President of Neuroscience Ireland, Tom Connor, who passed away at too young an age in 2013.
“We have lost an exceptional academic and, more importantly, a wonderful person who was kind, considerate and respectful to everyone he met. We are very fortunate to have worked with him, been taught by him, mentored by him, befriended by him and inspired by him. He will be greatly missed.”